Amphibious MG?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Amphibious MG?
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 09:34:15 -0500
I have a copy of "Classic Cars - a celebration of the motorcar from 1945 to
1975", by Martin Buckley, a sort of coffee-table book on various models
(both remembered and forgotten), that I picked up at Borders remaindered
for $5 or something a couple of years ago.  It has everything from the
Alvis to the Zaporozhets (Soviet minicar).  In the intro pages on the
changing industry from 1956 to 1960 it has a photo which is captioned:

"Above: The Austin Healey Sprite lost its 'frog eyes' by 1961, and was
joined by the identical badge-engineered MG Midget. This is a 1275cc MkIV
Sprite from 1968".

I've glanced over this photo and others a number of times, but I just
realized that the car in the BACKGROUND is MG-ish but with tail fins, and
it's traveling down the river IN the river.  Was it an actual model of
someones?  Was it just modified a-la that Jimmy Neutron Miata we saw the
other day?  The nose looks like a MG, the tailfins look like, well,
American, the windshield is a bit odd, and it's seemingly making headway in
the water.  What's up with this?

http://www.penworks.com/swimcar.jpg

The photo is 220k.  I wanted to leave as much photo info as possible.  If
no one can identify the car, I'll try to get a better repro.

- Tab