Re: Good News/Bad News: some answers, some questions

To: Larry Hoy <list@marketvalue.net>, leroy@lacy-purl.com, hans@hi-flow.com,
Subject: Re: Good News/Bad News: some answers, some questions
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 00:57:49 -0800
Warning:
All the pictures in the bgbig directory tree are 1600x1200. I haven't
cropped them because I'd rather sleep tonight than spend the time.

I pulled the head tonight. The good news is that I did something
really really stupid, then promptly forgot about it. The last time I
bought a head gasket I bought two of them. pulling one of them out of
the wrapping I bent it slightly, straightened it back out, looked at
it, decided that the little divot in the metal around the cylinder
would just get squashed out and wouldn't be a problem. Therefore I
didn't throw away a brand new, unused head gasket and put it on my
motor instead, and completely and totally forgot about it until I saw:
http://red4est.red4est.com/lrc/pix/bgbig/gaskinplace/pict1015.jpg

I feel like a complete and total idiot. For all I know it might have
actually held in a non-supercharged motor. But after all that I've
been through, I didn't want to "waste" $30 throwing away a gasket that
was probably good. Everybody that has not yet made this moronic
mistake, learn from my screwup, don't do it yourself.

This solves the mystery of why the gasket blew the way it did.

For What It's Worth, at #2 cylinder the block looks like:
http://red4est.red4est.com/lrc/pix/bgbig/blocksurf/pict1042.jpg

the head looks like:
http://red4est.red4est.com/lrc/pix/bgbig/head/pict1055.jpg

So much for answers, now how about questions.

A look at:
http://red4est.red4est.com/lrc/pix/bgbig/blocksurf/pict1046.jpg
and
http://red4est.red4est.com/lrc/pix/bgbig/blocksurf/pict1044.jpg

show carbon between cyls 1&2 and between 3&4.

This is also visible on the head:
http://red4est.red4est.com/lrc/pix/bgbig/head/pict1023.jpg
http://red4est.red4est.com/lrc/pix/bgbig/head/pict1054.jpg

Though it doesn't seem to have any leakage between 2&3.

In this latest installation, the manifold gasket was also leaking on
the center exhaust port. I expect that I just didn't get the nuts
snugged down well or something.

I did get some pictures of the plugs. I've got them in order, #4 is
the one that has been eroded:

#4 is on the left in both of these pictures:
http://red4est.red4est.com/lrc/pix/bgbig/plugsup/pict0980.jpg
http://red4est.red4est.com/lrc/pix/bgbig/plugs/pict0969.jpg

I did not (as of yet) see anything else noteworthy about that
cylinder. I think (hope) that this happened when I first started
running this head and it was pinging hard under heavy load. Looking at
the shape of the intake manifold I could see that if any cylinder were
to be running leaner than the rest, this would be the one. I don't
know if Hans has done any egt measurements out of each of the exhaust
ports, or what, if anything, can be done to even out the fuel flow, if
indeed that is the problem. I seem to remember that historically
cylinder #4 runs hotter than the others on MGs anyways.  I'll have my
machinist look at the cylinder head tomorrow, and keep an eye on that
plug. If it continues to be a problem, I may run one range cooler plug
in cylinder #4.  Anybody else with one of these kits ever see anything
along these lines?

On the question of how smooth/rough is the surface, I was able to
barely feel the roughness from the machining marks. I've been told
that the threshold for feeling a ridge is about .003".

If you are seriously interested in checking out postmortem pictures,
there are two directories:
http://red4est.red4est.com/lrc/pix/bgnorm/
has everything in one directory and the pictures are 800x600
http://red4est.red4est.com/lrc/pix/bgbig

has the following sub direcories

block: outside of the block where the gasket blew
blocksurf: surface of the block
cugask: the copper gasket that blew out before
gaskets: the head gasket and manifold gasket out of the car
gaskinplace: the head gasket in place
head: the surface of the ehad
hader: showing the exhuast leak on the header
headergask: showing the header gasket that leaked
plugs: the plugs lying down
plugsup: the plugs stood up

======

re: torque wrenches

I bought a beam type today. My plan is to do up to the penultimate
torquing with the click type wrench, because it is much easer, then do
the final torque with the beam wrench.

======

I am using dished venolia pistons.

I am using one of Hans' fancy recurved scorcher distributors that was
specially made for this application out of some Bosch distributor.

So much for tonights chapter of my exploring each and every stupid
mistake that it is possible to make when rebuilding a motor.

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.