Pyrometers, mixture balance

To: MGs@autox.team.net
Subject: Pyrometers, mixture balance
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 21:16:29 -0800
Someone reccomended that I get an optical pyrometer and measure the
temperature of the various header branches to see if cyl 4 might be
running leaner than cyl 1. A friend who works for a company that makes
them, scored me a refurbished unit. Armed with that, i took Jasmine
out for a drive, warmed her up and pulled into a parking lot. I aimed
the meter at the header where it attaches to the head at cyls 1 and 4
and Oh My Goodness, #4 was about 50 degrees warmer. I aimed it at the
center, and it was even warmer.

Then I realized, #1 is about 6 inches from the fan. Of course it's
cooler. D'oh!  When I aimed at a point several inches in and on the
leeward side for #1, the temperatures were about the same on all three
branches.

I had sent Joe Curto some email about my situation, wanting to richen
up my midrange and he said that he'd been talking to someone else
about a blower kit for an MGB: " I suggested that they block off one
hole in the piston and reduce the other one to 1/8th inch, they are
very happy so try it too, call me if you need better explanation."

I'll definitely be calling him, but I'm at a loss for what he's
describing. My best guess is that he's talking about reducing the flow
of air between the low pressure side and the top of the piston,
thereby reducing the responsiveness of the piston to changes in air
flow. Eventually, I would guess, the piston would achieve the same
equilibrium with one or two holes in the piston.

I'd also guess that you could achieve the same effect with heavier oil
in the damper.

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.