Re: distributor ID

To: "Michael W. Jose" <mwjose@cox.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: distributor ID
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 10:08:46 -0000
Distributors should have a serial number stamped on the body close to the
'45D4' or '25D4'.  The serial number denotes the original specs of
centrifugal and vacuum advance curves, most of which can be found at
http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/wn_ignitionframe.htm and clicking on
'Distributor Curves'.  The two basic types are interchangeable, but with the
'wrong' curves you may well get pinking under certain conditions with the
dynamic timing set to the original figure, and if you back-off to stop the
pinking you will probably get poorer performance and economy over most of
the range.  Having said that the earlier pre-emissions distributors should
give the best performance, and having said *that* it is anybody's guess as
to what the curves are in practice after 30 years, springs and things
wearing as they do.