Re: Front wheel bearings

To: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Front wheel bearings
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:43:35 -0600
At 11:21 AM 2/21/03 -0800, Larry Colen wrote:
>While my front wheel bearings are not to the point of qualifying as _bad_,
>the ideal adjustment seems to be between two settings. If I set them with
>the cotter pin through the horizontal hole, it seems just a touch loose.
>If I turn the nut 1/2 a flat and put the pin through the vertical hole,
>they seem a bit tight and sort of bind a bit when I turn the hub.

You are either missing the inner bearing race spacer or you need to add
shims.  Read the shop manual for the proper service procedure (which would
occupy too much bandwidth for the list).  In the end the nut gets a lot of
torque and they don't bind.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com