Re: Coolant was Battery Water

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Coolant was Battery Water
From: "Chris" <slimyrat@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 22:09:22 +0200
What about pure antifreeze? Though I think the stuff you buy contains water
anyway...

The reason I ask is I have a vague childhood memory of asking someone at an
air museum if the rolls-royce griffon engines on an avro shackleton were
watercooled, to which the guy replied, "glycol actually".
So I guess my question is can one run an engine with pure ethylene glycol in
the cooling system and if not why not?
Would this help with scale and corrosion?
Any experts? (my knowledge of chemistry is about as good as my knowledge of
late model BMW wiring harnesses)

Chris
1/2 a '73 B
Johannesburg