Re: Coolant

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Coolant
From: "Rick Fisk" <refisk@chartermi.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 09:41:40 -0500
James,

The green stuff is safe for aluminum engines and works great - as long as
you change it every two years.  The green stuff has a silicate type
corrosion inhibitor added that is sacrificial.  After a couple of years the
corrosion inhibitors are basically gone.  The orange stuff has an organic
acid based corrosion inhibitor that is basically good forever.  The big
problem may be that if you had green in your system and then drained it and
installed orange the residue from the green will have nullified the
corrosion protection of the orange.  The silicates from the green
contaminate the orange and it's corrosion protection is reduced.

I gleaned this info from another forum I subscribe to - it was posted by a
GM engineer with much design experience on aluminum engines.

Rick
'59 Sprite
'65 MGB
'90 Allante