Re: measuring piston rise

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: measuring piston rise
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 16:09:22 -0800
Let's hear it for the empirical method.  I took a (diagnostic) vacuum
guage and connected it to the port on the side of the SU. I suspect
maybe that it is for the crankcase breather. Anyways what the manifold
guage seemed to measure was "piston lag".

It would nominally read a very low vacuum. I'd hit the trottle and the
vacuum would rise momentarily, then back down. If I nailed the trottle
hard, the needle might spike up quite a ways for a fraction of a
second. In retrospect this all makes sense, that the vacuum there
would be highest when the system is out of equilibrium.

I find the list of things that I'm learning to be almost as
interesting as what I'm actually learning. A few months ago I never
realized how much that I didn't know  about SU carburettors.

   Larry

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.