RE: Vaccuum leak WAS: RE: Gasket orientation??

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Vaccuum leak WAS: RE: Gasket orientation??
From: "Marc Siegel" <smarc@abs.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 13:45:45 -0500
As usual, thanks for all the replies (just gotta love this list!!). So,
having actually done things correctly, I still have leaks at the intake
manifold. I had determined this by spraying carb cleaner and noting the
definite change when I hit the leaky spots with the spray.

As noted, I used cut washers to shim the difference, but although it's not
as leaky as it was, it still leaks. I made sure that the surface of the head
was clean, used a brand new, undamaged gasket, and made sure the flanges on
the intake manifold were clean. I had also had a machine shop put the
manifold on their belt sander to make sure the flanges were clean, smooth
and true.

Any tricks that may be helpful here? Is a double gasket a really bad idea? I
guess the proper thing is to have it planed down to match the exhaust
header, but it seems like I should have been able to get a good seal by
using the washers to shim it. When I disassemble it again, I'll check the
head with a straight edge as was suggested to me...

Learning a lot (mostly about what NOT to do!)...

'73 MGB
'80 MGB
--
Marc Siegel, Charm Net, LLC.  eMail: smarc@abs.net