RE: Vaccuum leak WAS: RE: Gasket orientation??

To: "'Larry Hoy'" <list@marketvalue.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Vaccuum leak WAS: RE: Gasket orientation??
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 08:57:47 -0800
Originally B-Series manifold gaskets were laminated with soft material on
both sides and a core of reinforcing metal.  The late model catalytic
equipped cars had a gasket with exposed metal reinforcement on each side and
a soft material in the center.

When asbestos became a bad word, many gasket manufacturers went to a
reinforced material which has exposed metal reinforcement on one side, and
soft material on the other.  Orientation of this type of gasket is
unimportant, as the metal is there to prevent disintegration and the soft
material provides crush.  The soft material does tend to stick, so I
normally put that material towards the easiest part to scrape clean.  In
this application, I'd suggest the head.

Currently we are little unhappy with the available gasket, as the
manufacturers punching tool is bending the material more than we are
comfortable with.  I don't believe this will cause a sealing problem, but
it's not as nice as we would like.  This problem is a real concern, as many
of the gaskets we are receiving appear to be deformed due to either blunt
tooling or too many stacked pieces.

The so called "competition gasket" is made from a non-reinforced gasket
material and has larger intake ports than the stock gasket.  The
non-reinforced material is easier to cut for custom big exhaust port
applications.  Since this part is a short run production piece it is cleanly
cut without deformation.

Kelvin.