Re: How To Take Along A One-Year Old In An MGB

To: Bert Palte <palte@gmx.net>
Subject: Re: How To Take Along A One-Year Old In An MGB
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 20:36:09 -0500
Bert,

Generally the rear seat is acknowledged to be safer than a front
seat.  Furthermore, on modern cars, a front seat (when equipped with a
passenger-side airbag) is definitely not recommended for children.

That said, with an MG having neither an airbag or a rear seat, I have
driven with my son in my MG since he was three, in the passenger seat.

But that said, I would never put him in a makeshift seat.  If he rode in my
car, he was always my only passenger, and I extra-strapped his car-seat
down (with belts, actually) because I didn't trust the belt in my '78 to
hold his seat down.

I also own a '96 Saab 900S convertible.  If I'm going to have more than one
passenger, then I take the Saab.  It'd be nice if we all could go in the
MG, but I'm not going to risk my son's life on some small pleasure.

- Tab