Re: clutch

To: Mromgbtkd@aol.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: clutch
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 02:45:36 -0600
Mromgbtkd@aol.com wrote:

> Thanks to all. I guess I'll be pulling the engine and trans to do the clutch.

I think you will use this method as the years go by. It's just a hell of a
lot more straighforward and easy and it's so nice to not have to try to get
to things.

On the other hand, I will freely admit that I have a really nice hydraulic
cherry-picker I obtained by having somebody owe me about $1000 worth of
favors and calling them in and also paying about $150 cash. Talk about
making life so much easier.

I also remember people at Mosport pulling Mini engines three and four times
in a single day and also making all their races. Most of them used big
strong friends and a 3" iron pipe with a chain slung off it. Bingo, undo
everything. Bongo, lift out the lump. Bango, fix whatever and dump it back
in place. I once replaced a burned out clutch and also changed primary
gears (for free, courtesy of the BMC Racing Van) (as well as the wee brass
plug to seal up the oil-pissing primary gear lube-hole). We had around 45
minutes between races, but we were back on the starting line in time to
compete.

That taught us that pulling and replacing an engine or other major
component wasn't necessarily a big deal.

You can spend literally hours taking one recalcitrant bolt out of a housing
because (a) the designer used a fastener with way too many threads in a
position where you can't turn it more than 1/16 of a turn at a time and (b)
you have to swap ends on the wrench to do it and (c) no ratchet wrench
known to man can work in that space.
With a bit of experience and some good advice you can become familiar with
pulling major components and soon will not be daunted by the prospect.

Use masking tape to tag all electrical connections you are required to
disconnect in order to pull the engime/transmission assembly. Tag them
"HEAD TEMPERATURE SENDER, + COIL, - COIL," etc. so you can't screw up when
refitting them. Never use any arcane code to do this. I absolutely PROMISE
you will not be able to ever decipher it in the future.

Write the tags as though you expect some total stranger to understand them
and apply them properly, since that will be the case when you try to
re-assemble everything.   ;)

-Rock
--
"JJ Cale Live" CD & Video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm