Re: Battery Quick Disconnect?

To: "Tab Julius" <tab@penworks.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Battery Quick Disconnect?
From: "james" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 23:34:47 -0500
I think the only considerations that you might have are
1. the capacity of the switch, most of them are 200A continuous and 1000A
surge or better, I think.
2. there are extra terminals on some.  Some of them have unswitched
terminals for clock, radio memory etc, but this can be done other ways that
I have heard mentioned already.
3. A few switches have a terminal for the alternator lead that grounds
through a resistor when the switch is pulled.  This is done for racing
safety to be sure that feedback from the alternator can not keep the car
running after the switch is pulled.  I have also heard of this being
accomplished via a relay for the alternator.

When I installed mine in my V8 I didn't want to put it somewhere that the
switch could be accidentally switched.  Since I wired the car from scratch I
put it in the boot and installed a pull cable, similar to a bonnet release,
next to the tunnel behind the passenger seat.  This way I don't have to
worry about it getting flipped accidentally, but I can still reach back from
the seat to kill the power.  The rear tunnel area is probably the best place
to put it as it keeps the live wire from battery to switch as short as
possible.  This will isolate the maximum amount of wiring when it is flipped
while still being convenient.
The only things that I left unswitched were the radio memory, the hazards,
and the dome lights.  I decided for convenience and emergencies these were
the things I wanted to have working if I ever had to pull the switch.
So far I have pulled it once, between when my engine blew up, and when I
knew what had happened.  I have also used it countless times during sorting
of the car.

James Nazarian
71B Tourer
71BGT V8