RE: engine transplant

To: "'Clancy'" <clancy@idir.net>, MG Group <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: engine transplant
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 08:56:03 -0700
> If I put an engine out of a 78 B into my 73 B what do I have
> to change out.  I
> intend to use my exhaust manifold, intake and carbs,
> thermostat housing, the
> 73 style hoses and radiator.  What else is different?
>
> Thanks, Clancy Schmidt, Lawrence, KS

Clancy:

I didn't see anyone mentioning the front engine plate.  It's a bit of a pain
in the neck as the front pulley, timing cover and timing gears have to come
off.

The front engine plate of the 1978 is set up for the rubber bumper engine
mounting plates.  You will have to install the front plate from the 1973
engine, so the earlier engine mounting brackets can be installed.  Plug the
rear water outlet in the head, and you should be good to go after changing
out the manifolds, carbs, thermo hsg and dizzy.

Kelvin.