Re: V8 Bushes and Torque settings.

To: "Chris" <slimyrat@hotmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: V8 Bushes and Torque settings.
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 12:50:19 +0100
The inner sleeve of the V8 bushes is supposed to be clamped between the nut
and washer on one side and the shoulder on the pivot on the other side.
This also has to control how much fore and aft movement there can be of the
A-arms, which is one half of what is controlling the castor angle (the other
being the location of the shock absorber), and is only a very small amount.
The pivot nuts must *only* be tightened when the suspension is at its
'normal' level, to stop tearing of the rubber if it should be a tight fit in
the arm, before that they should be done up just short of tightening onto
the inner sleeve.  If it's assembled correctly I can't really see how
fitting the spring pan to the A-arms can cause the bushes to come out of the
A-arms with the pivot shoulder on one side and the large washer on the
other.

My Haynes has torque figures at the front of each section immediately after
the specifications.  Although figures are given for the spring pan nuts none
are given for the pivot or trunion, presumably because of the use of split
pins to retain the nuts on these last two items.