RE: MGB makes a pilgrimage!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: MGB makes a pilgrimage!
From: Mowog1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 17:13:12 EDT
regarding:

"Who on the list has taken the longest drive?  Let's her from you!

He's not on the list, and it's been quite a while ago, but Norm Ewing
from South Africa drove his A around the world shortly after completing
the restoration. His wife even had their first child while on the trip."

Well...I cannot even come close to Mr Ewing's efforts in an MG ... but I have
driven my MGB roundtrip from Champaign, IL to Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
(1992), from Champaign to Washington, D.C. (1994); from Champaign, IL to Lake
Tahoe (1995), from Champaign to Buffalo, NY (1997); from Champaign to
Baltimore, MD (1998). I have also driven this MGB on at least 4 1000 mile/24
hour endurance rallyes. I have driven my MGC round trip from Champaign to
Vancouver, B.C. (1999); from Champaign to Cleveland (2000); from Champaign to
Sebring, Florida (2001); from Champaign to St.Paul, MN (2001), from Champaign
to Grapevine, TX (2002); in addition to three 1000 mile/24 hour endurance
rallyes. (I didn't count the daily drives or "short" hops from Champaign to
Chicago, Indianapolis, or St.Louis) Some of the above trips were driven solo,
orthers with the companionship of my wife, Jean. (And of course, some were
with my Team Fokowie teammates!)

This totals about 25,300 miles and does not include any "daily driver" miles
(which I also conduct). My MGB never let me down on any of these jaunts. My
MGC failed only once-in Vancouver dure to a valve on #6 that stuck open (and
then it didn't even hit the piston! I was MG-less only due to the transport
time needed to obtain a new head gasket.)

I enjoy driving my MGs more than my '96 Nissan 300ZX. I am glad that warm
weather has finally arrived!

We are driving the MGC to Tennessee in May and will be taking the MGB or the
MGC to St.Louis in June. I've already navigated the 2003 St.Louis Endurance
Run in a 1974 MGB/GT and have three more rallyes this year of similar nature.
(I've only had one mechanical failure in a rallye since 1994 that "put us out
of commission")

Cheers!

rick ingram
1978 MGB