Re: Spam stopped

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spam stopped
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 03:14:11 +1030
David Councill wrote:

> How can you tell that a message was sent back? I was skeptical of the
> original statement about a message being sent back confirming email address
> validity. The question that came to my mind was - how?

I suppose it is technically feasible in that the specific URL that the
mail links to for an image could betray the other end linking to the
image (look at the stats for your website and you can see anyone who
sucks an image from your website for their website) but off the top of
my head (at 03:00hrs) I can only think they could get your mail address
by creating a seperate image address for every item of mail they send
out and then seeing which one had been sucked from their web server.
Not really feasible for the millions of mails these spamming bastards
send out.

But, seeing as this is achievable then maybe the connection can also
send back other information.  Linking to an image IS a link between the
two machines - so anything is possible, I guess.

OK, I will go to bed now.

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII