Re: Spam stopped

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spam stopped
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 11:08:19 -0600
Barrie,

Your advice on disconnecting from the Internet was actually very good.
However, Internet users are shifting from slow dialup modems to cable/dsl
and other "always on" connections. And when there is no connection to be
made or disconnected, it is much easier for companies to gain access to and
from your computer without your knowledge.

Back when I had a dial-up modem, I found it irritating when the computer
would dial up on its own as it was a sign of an unauthorized transmission
from my computer. So I always set my computer to not dial up on demand -
just right click on your Internet Explorer icon, choose properties,
connection tab. If you change that to "never dial a connection", an
Internet program cannot automatically trigger your dialer.

Your Netscape is starting up because its your default browser and something
is activating it, usually the passing of a http (web) address. For example,
if you double clicked a weblink, even in an email program, that should
bring up your default browser.

Since I have a cable connection, I use a program called ZoneAlarm to
control outgoing Internet access. But its handy on a dial up connection too
as programs can be designed to look for an open internet connection before
they send data. But with ZoneAlarm, it will catch any program trying to use
your Internet connection and you have to authorize it to let it through.
Not only are there spammers out there, there is also a lot of spyware that
once running on your computer, they can send your email address and other
information to these Internet marketers.

So from your original email - my main advice would be to make sure html
displays/executions are turned off on your email program (like Barney
said). Use an outgoing firewall software (ZoneAlarm basic is freeware). Run
a spyware detection program periodically, like Ad-aware.

I appreciate the information from this thread on how spammers can determine
if their email has been opened. My email does not display html and embedded
images so I was safe on that end. But since this is an Internet list, I'm
sure we can all benefit from any anti-spam tips.

David