Re: lubrication question

To: "Larry Colen" <lrcar@red4est.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: lubrication question
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 15:08:39 +0100
The sleeve is supposed to be clamped between the A-arms by the bolt.  This
means it rotates inside the lower joint of the king-pin and the bolt is
prevented from ovalling the hoes in the A-arms (I have seen pics where the
bolt itself was worn a good way through because it hadn't been tightened
properly), but over time can mean that the two fuse together.  The book
shows a hole in the tube which should allow grease to get between bolt and
sleeve, but when clamped there is nowhere for this grease to exit (unlike
from between tube and king-pin joint) so I can't see much getting in.
What's more, I can't recall seeing this hole in the tube when replacing
them.  Copper-grease the bolt threads along its length as well as where the
nut goes.