SU Carb Dampers

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: SU Carb Dampers
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 16:51:14 +0100
I eventually decided to have my HSs rebuilt as although I could set them up
satisfactorily and it ran very well under most conditions, light-throttle
pick-up caused a hesitation unless I prodded harder or waited for it to
'catch up'. I put this down to a vacuum leak and weak mixture due to worn
throttle shafts and bushings as I could see noticeable play. I was a bit
disappointed when the rebuilt items were exactly the same even though there
was now no play. But looking at the damper pistons (new with the rebuild)
and comparing them with those on the V8 (HIFs) I notice that the brass
piston at the bottom of the pin on the HSs can travel about three times the
distance of those on the V8 before the damping effect will start, and this
will allow the piston to rise that much further which must affect
enrichment. I don't have the roadster handy to take a measurement but the
HIFs have close to 50 thou travel, as I say the roadster ones are two or
three times this, I'd be interested to hear what others are like. I can't
recall what the original dampers were like before the rebuild.

PaulH.