MGA tonneaus

To: mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>, DOHC <mgatwincam@egroups.com>
Subject: MGA tonneaus
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 15:20:28 -0500
David Breneman, Rosedale, Washington, USA, idcb@airborne.com

<<<snip>>>
Were those (tonneau cover studs) only installed on a car with a factory
tonneau cover?
<<<snip>>>
Yes, cars with no tonneau covers have no studs except those needed for
the hood with the possible exception for yd1/2611.  The SPL shows that
the front studs are part of the 'Optional Extra Tonneau Cover."

The stud holes on my twin cam body are all drilled as they vary in
location, have burrs inside and vary in distance from the roll pad.
Also one is angled slightly: not parallel to the edge.  All indicating
hand installation not using prepunched holes.

Look at the green unrestored twin cam, YD1/2611, and the blue 1500 on
page 36 in the "Original MGA."  Notice the blue 1500 has no studs
although they may have been welded shut on this restored example.  The
twin cam has just one on each side, why I don't know.  Notice it is of
the single stud and nut variety rather than the two sheet metal screw
variety that's on my 1500 style twin cam.  Perhaps it's something to do
with access later. BMIHT records show YD1/2611 was built without the
tonneau.  Look again at the twin cam on page 22.  Using reading glasses
you will see it doesn't have the studs on the rear either for a
tonneau.  Notice also that 2611 has the studs as part of the mirror
base, not seperately.  The twin cam parts list doesn't list these
either.

The problem may be that all 1600s may have had the two outermost front
studs for the tonneau already fitted  because of access problems when
the car was completely fitted out.  When the 1500 tonneau was fitted to
your 1600, you've got two studs in the wrong place.

The other possibility is YD1/2611 has been fitted with an aftermarket
tonneau which used the hood fitting at the rear of the car.

G'day