Re: MGA tonneaus

To: yd3@nvc.net
Subject: Re: MGA tonneaus
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2003 10:17:09 -0700 (PDT)
Bullwinkle SEZ -

> Look at the green unrestored twin cam, YD1/2611, and the blue 1500 on
> page 36 in the "Original MGA."  Notice the blue 1500 has no studs
> although they may have been welded shut on this restored example.

I'll take a look.

> The problem may be that all 1600s may have had the two outermost front
> studs for the tonneau already fitted  because of access problems when
> the car was completely fitted out.  When the 1500 tonneau was fitted to
> your 1600, you've got two studs in the wrong place.

My car is actually a 1500, which has a "mostly 1600" set of studs.
That is, the studs on the cowl are like those on a 1600, and there
are no studs on the tops of the doors.  OK, so far it looks like
this car was set up for a 1600-style tonneau cover.  But...  It has
the 1500-style short tonneau studs on the trim piece behind the
passenger compartment, and all of these pieces look original.  That's
the strange thing about this.  I suppose that at some point after
the 1600 style tonneau cover was installed and lost, the trim piece
might have been swapped out with one from a 1500 with a short
tonneau cover, but what explains the lack of studs on the tonneau
itself, to acommodate the 1600-style long tonneau cover?  And there's
no indication that those studs were removed and the holes filled.
*That's* the real mystery.

I was hoping that I might discover that this car had come with
some limited-production "transitional" tonneau cover design, hand-
sewn by Syd Enever for the Earls Court Motor Show, of tremendous
historic importance, which would be worth custom replication;  :-)
but there's no mention of a tonneau cover on the BMIHT certificate.

--
David Breneman                     | "Just because something doesn't
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst    |  do what you planned it to do