Re: Fuel Additive

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fuel Additive
From: "David Breneman" <idcb@airborne.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 13:43:05 -0700 (PDT)
Max Heim SEZ -
> Why do you think you need a lead additive?
>
> Real world experience seems to indicate that under normal street conditions
> these engines get by perfectly OK on unleaded fuel.

Not only unleaded, but the mechanic who rebuilt the 5-main high-compression
MGB engine for my MGA told me that I can use regular-grade unleaded in
all but the warmest weather!  This surprised me because my '68 MGB had
basically the same engine, but the owner's manual said to never use
less than 98 octane except in an emergency.  I've always been sceptical
of unleaded gas in pre-1975 engines - after all, if the government bans
something it *must* be good!  :-)  But I'll trust an expert.  This
guy's rebuilt a lot of MG engines.

--
David Breneman                     | "Just because something doesn't
Distributed Systems S/W Analyst    |  do what you planned it to do