Re: Tao of Bugs

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tao of Bugs
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 20:00:19 -0700
It's not size, it's the angle. And the wraparound. You see, your SAAB is
actually designed in a wind tunnel for low coefficient of drag. The body is
shaped so that air goes around it, maintaining smooth laminar flow. Even
above and beyond the general desire for fuel economy -- SAAB is an aircraft
company, after all.

The MGB, on the other hand, was designed on a drafting table in Abingdon, or
perhaps Longbridge. I've always felt the total concession to aerodynamics
consisted of when the protoype wouldn't reach 100MPH (due to increased
frontal area vis a vis the MGA, because of overall width and wider tires),
their solution was to chop 2 inches off the windshield height.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149