Re: MGB V6 Upgrade

To: Chris Thompson <ct-mg@cthompson.com>
Subject: Re: MGB V6 Upgrade
From: Paul Root <proot@iaces.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 11:09:46 -0500
Chris Thompson wrote:
> Paul Root (proot@iaces.com) wrote:
>
>>I used to cringe whenever I saw a small block Chevy in a Jag. I felt if
>>you can't handle the engine quirks of the Jag, you don't deserve one.
>>
>>That translated to 'the only proper conversion for an MG is the Rover
>>V8', for obvious historic reasons.
>

> I'm not sure I'd put an american engine in, say, an E type, and I can
> certainly understand the originality issues. But on a $1000 1974 MGB, I'm
> not so concerned.
>

>>However, the V6 conversion is looking better these days. For many reasons:
>>      1. Cheap engine, tranny and parts available everywhere.
>>      2. Great power.
>>      3. Any mechanic anywhere in the US can fix this engine.
>

> Those were my thoughts too. Add to that a thriving enthusiast market.
> There's tons of guys who want to juice up their Camaro a bit. For a brief
> time I drove a V6 99 Camaro, and I can tell you that while it's decidedly
> not a V8, it's definitely got some pull.
>

>>If originality is a concern, you wouldn't be doing a conversion anyway.
>

> Originality isn't too much of a concern to me. It's a 1973 CBB Roadster,
> titled as a 1974, and as I refurb and repaint it, it's getting a pre 1970
> grille and the early style bumper with all chrome overriders.
>

>>It's probably a very easy way to get better performance and reliability
>>with less maintainence.
>>
>>Bottom line, don't worry about what we think. It's your car, do with it
>>what you want. Then be ready to give lots of rides. :-)
>

> I was mostly looking for someone who could say "Oh, I did that and it
> always causes the fetzer valve to burn out because of a broken attenuator
> on the wobble shaft", to, uh, paraphrase. (To fix that, of course you need
> a four and seven sixteenths left handed mangstrom gangley spanner.)
>
> Amazingly, the Killer B V6 guy is about 40 miles from my house. I think I'm
> going to see if there's one I can go test drive. I'll keep everyone
> informed.

It might me the Killer B site, but someone had sent mail to the list in
the last month or so, with a new shop (in Oregon?) that was putting
together conversion "kits". I can't find it in my bookmarks now.

Keep us informed. A conversion could be several years down the pipe for
me. Just because I want to.

Paul.

--
Paul T. Root                    E/Mail: proot@iaces.com
600 Stinson Blvd N.E., Fl 1S    PAG: +1 (877) 693-7155