Re: MGB V6 Upgrade

To: Chris Thompson <ct-mg@cthompson.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB V6 Upgrade
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 13:43:56 -0500
At 05:06 AM 5/7/03 -0400, Chris Thompson wrote:
>I was wondering if anyone on the list has any experience with putting a GM
>V6 in an MGB.....

Not me personally, but a member of our club did that recently with a
BGT.  We currently have on line some slightly fuzzy pictures captured from
a video camera.  Check here: http://chicagolandmgclub.com/photos/fanning

There is a small "power bulge" in the bonnet, which appears to be a reward
facing air intake.  Don't know yet if it was required to clear the air
cleaner, but I think not.  Engine is Camaro 2.8.  Gearbox is T5
5-speed.  Rear axle is original MGB with 3.9 gearing.  Overdrive gear in
the gearbox obviously helps a lot, probably good for at least 120 mph under
the redline, but so far no report on any high speed cruising.

The owner likes the conversion a lot, as it runs cool and is easy to drive,
never intended to be a "formal" race car.  Currently awaiting better
pictures and a more comprehensive report for the newsletter.  I may see if
I can bum a test drive in this one soon.  If so I will fine my own
report.  Check back again later.

Barney Gaylord
Editor and Webmaster
Chicagoland MG Club