Re: MGB V6 Upgrade

To: "Chris Thompson" <ct-mg@cthompson.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB V6 Upgrade
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 23:15:11 -0400
The downside is the little fabrications, tweaks, fixes that you have to do
to sort out a car with an engine conversion, and the fact that you will
spend more on it then you planned.
IMO the 215 is a holdover from it seemingly being a dead ringer for fitting
in the B.  Since Costello and the factory did it, we all knew it fit.  Once
upon a time they were plentiful, but nowadays everyone that has one knows
what the buyer is going to do with it and you pay higher prices now.  There
is also just something about a V8.

Personally I doubt I would do another Buick/Rover, but I might do a Ford 302
if I wanted another V8.  The benefit with the V6's and the 302 is the
plentiful availability of aftermarket support.  The benefit with the
Buick/Rover, is that you can buy every single conversion part off the shelf,
every little problem has been addressed with nearly every combination of
parts, and there is a LOT of experience out there to help.

I say go your own route, when I did my V8, I fabricated every single part of
the conversion and made an effort to add my own touch to each one.  One of
the most interesting things about V8 meets is seeing everyone's individual
interpretations of the conversions.

James Nazarian
71 MGB Tourer
71 MGBGT V8