Re: overdrive solenoid

To: "R. Martin Rogovein" <rmort@bezeqint.net>,
Subject: Re: overdrive solenoid
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 18:00:39 -0600
Sure you can remove the solenoid without draining the oil. The question is
how big of a mess will result when you remove it. It would be prudent to
drain the oil for that reason alone. But another thing to consider is that
when you remove the solenoid, there is a small metal ball (about the size
of a BB I think) that is right above the solenoid's plunger that you need
to keep from losing when you pull out the solenoid, not a problem if you do
it slow and without oil oozing out.

On the switch, it would be best to test it using a continuity tester and
not try to remove it. I had a hard enough time getting the wires attached
to mine while the transmission was in place. Although it may be possible to
remove it from below or maybe through the shifter hole, it would be very
difficult. And putting it or another one back in would likely be much
harder still.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B