Re: overdrive solenoid

Subject: Re: overdrive solenoid
From: "R. Martin Rogovein" <rmort@bezeqint.net>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 19:24:23 +0200
And to answer my own questions:

> (LH overdrive on 70 b)
> some questions:
> 1) can you remove the solenoid without draining the tranny oil (Haynes
says
> no, but wanted to check)

Yup, you sure can.  It drips at you a bit, but no "river of oil" as I was
warned.
Of course, my first thought was the old joke "What do you call a British car
that doesn't leak?" "Empty," but a later check showed all was well in the
tranny.

> 2) can you get at the overdrive lockout switch to test, or possibily to
> remove and replace, without loosening and lowering the tranny

Well, fortunately I didn't have to.  Power was not my problem.  I had 12v at
the soleniod in 3rd & 4th with the switch on, as it should be.
Also checked and found solenoid worked just fine hooked up to power out of
the car.
But, when I removed the solenoid, all ready to look for pitting on the
little ball bearing, guess what - no ball bearing.

So, my ball bearing is in the mail, and hopefully once installed I won't
have any other suprises.
Safety fast (and soon, at lower revs),
RMartin
70 roadster