Re: New MGB - A couple more questions

To: engl <engl@cableregina.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New MGB - A couple more questions
From: Kendel McCarley <kmmccarley@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 22:28:42 -0700
I dropped my kingpin set and swivel axles off with a machinist this
morning. I pick them up tomorrow morning, $45 later.

It took visiting three shops.  The first one didn't have the tools small
enough, the second one (an exclusive Brit shop) set the price based on
what kind of car I drove up in and how I was dressed, and the third
place was the charm.  I should have gone there first as they'd done good
work for me in the past.  The first two places were recommended, so I'd
given them first shot.

I told the Brit shop I could buy my own reamer for $50 more than they
wanted to charge me.  It's always fun when you catch a car shark at
work, just to watch the expression on their face when they realize
they've been caught.  The best one was a few years back when a dealer
wanted $1600 to replace a rear main seal in a Jeep.  I got it done for
$175 including parts from an honest mechanic.

 - K