Re: Where to buy car cover?

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Where to buy car cover?
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 11:48:02 -0700
I assume it's parked outdoors... what kind of climate?

Sun is what kills paint. Bird droppings and tree sap are merely a nuisance,
for the most part (though certain trees are worse than that).

Rain doesn't really hurt the car itself, but leaving a wet cover on the car
will promote rust and even mildew.

Wind will flap the cover and scratch paint if the car is even lightly dusty.

The biggest problem IMO is that you only want to put a perfectly clean cover
on a perfectly clean car -- anything else is potentially damaging. If you
drive the car at all, this becomes impractical. If it ever rains on the
cover, this becomes impossible. But in a high sun region, like the SW, the
cover is still your best option.

The JC Whitney catalog actually has (or used to have) a useful table
comparing the car covers they carry, rating them on sun, water resistance,
and weight (think of this as bulk, for fitting in a Midget's trunk -- the
really thick ones would probably entirely fill it).

Hope this helps.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149