Re: tr6 points

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tr6 points
From: Stephen West-Fisher <steve@coastaldatasystems.com>
Date: Sat, 17 May 2003 15:40:34 -0400
AOH9999@aol.com wrote:
> I know that this is the MG email list, but we just got a new triumph tr6 that
> we are trying to get running. There is a spark from the coil, and we put in
> new spark plugs, but we can't get the car to actually start. we think the
> point setting might be off. Does anyone know what the settings are? or have
> any other suggestions as to why the car only cranks, and wont start? thanks

Spark at the coil and spark at the plugs are two different things.

Check for spark at the plugs. If none, and the TR6s have points, place
them on a place where they are closed and use a screwdriver to open them
with the ignition on. No spark? Change points and condenser. If you get
a spark on the points, replace the plug wires.

If you have spark at the plugs and the car has been sitting for a long
time the carbs may be so gunked up they will not pass gas. Get an
extinguisher and have someone squirt a little gas into the carbs and see
if it will hit. If it will then is the pump delivering fuel to the
carbs? If so you may need to rebuild the carbs. If not, replace the pump.

Just a few things to try. All you need is gas, spark, and compression.

--
Stephen West-Fisher
Coastal Data Systems