Re: Low on power (Aha!)

To: jello@ida.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Low on power (Aha!)
From: Kendel McCarley <kmmccarley@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 09:14:55 -0700
It's a '72 Midget with the 1275 engine.

Yep, I'm not getting fuel to the carb in the first place.  With the hose
pulled at the rear carb, the pump "kathunks" a little slowly, some gas
dribbles out, and the pump stops.  It doesn't sound at all like the MGB
I had a few years back that went "thikita-thikita" pretty quick when I
turned on the ignition and then slowed down to "kathunks" as pressure
built up.

So, I think the explanation is that I've got a plug, probably in the
filter.  The gas smell is probably coming from the overflow lines; which
are just stuck on without benefits of clamps.  The smoke is probably
coming from fouled plugs/dry cylinders that aren't running all the time.