Re: Ratcheting box ends, was Re: Cheap Tools

To: "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ratcheting box ends, was Re: Cheap Tools
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 02:10:57 -0400
> I think the Craftsman has the little lever to change directions.
> Gearwrench you flip over. At least, that's the way it was when I looked
> at them. I figured it was one less thing to break and that a one
> directional ratchet would be stronger

I have a little tip that not everyone picks up on here.  If you look at a
Gearwrench (without lever) the open end points one way, which ever way that
end is pointing is which way the fastener will move, so in a theoretical
example with the wrench pointing towards you, if it points left it will
tighten, if you flip the wrench it will point right and will loosen.  I have
heard complaints that you can never tell which way the thing will work until
you try it, when I have responded with this answer that has nullified that
complaint.

BTW, Crafstmen club starts thursday and is another 10% off gearwrenches.

Hope this helps,
James Nazarian