Re: Grease guns

To: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Grease guns
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 00:57:00 -0500
At 08:03 PM 6/24/03 -0700, Paul M. wrote:
>I have to buy a grease gun tomorrow to be able to lubricate the suspension
>and steering on my MGB.  When I go to get one, do I have to look for
>anything special, or are grease gun fittings and such kinda universal?

Grease nipples and the connector fitting are standardized.  Get the regular
big grease gun with the long pump handle on the side for lots of pressure
capability, just in case you run into a stubborn grease fitting (which you
will).  The optional flex hose installed between the gun and the end
fitting makes life easier when you're under the car.  It allows you to hold
the gun and pump handle in a comfortable position for a vigorous squeeze,
regardless of the position of the connector.

>Also, what kind of grease do I use?

Grease gun grease.  Don't be too particular, because the car isn't.  These
days most grease is supplied in cardboard cartridge tubes like a caulking
gun.  Buy whatrever is cheap.

But when it's time to repack the wheel bearings, use wheel bearing grease,
not the stuff from the gun.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com