Re: TCSA

To: "Paul Root" <proot@iaces.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TCSA
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 15:45:09 +0100
AFAIK there is (almost) no connection between the TCSA and the gulp valve.
They both have a connection to the inlet manifold, right enough, but that is
as far as it goes, the engine had the gulp valve long before it had the
TCSA.  The TSCA uses the take-off from the inlet manifold, via the TCSA
solenoid on the firewall, to the distributor.  The gulp valve uses another
tapping on the inlet manifold.  The TCSA solenoid is wired back to a switch
on the gearbox.  Haynes is incorrect in that it shows two switches wired in
series for the TCSA - a microswitch with no indication of what operates it,
and a 4th gear only switch which is shared with the overdrive.  It is
possible that very late cars did have the microswitch in addition to the
original gearbox switch, with the microswitch operating the TCSA in 4th gear
only, and the original gearbox switch reverting back to 3rd and 4th for the
overdrive.