Re: Intermittent power loss

To: "Tab Julius" <tab@penworks.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Intermittent power loss
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 15:13:38 +0100
Even with electronic ignition it is still the distributor that initiates and
distributes the result.

By tach dropping I mean flickering about or dropping instantly to zero when
the problem occurs.  If the tach continues to register the revs of the
engine, only slowly dropping as the car speed and hence engine speed drops,
it isn't an ignition LT problem.  If the engine isn't firing then knocking
it out of gear or dipping the clutch will cause the engine revs, and hence
tach, to drop pretty quickly, which is why I always say when faced with a
sudden power loss look at the gauges and ignition warning light before doing
anything with the clutch or gear lever.