Intermittent power loss

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Intermittent power loss
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2003 20:42:33 -0400
My '78 B has an engine rebuilt to have dual carbs, high performance engine,
etc... (iow, it's not stock).  I use it as a daily driver, and yet I
occasionally get this intermittent power loss.... I can be going 80 (oops,
sorry - I meant the speed limit, 65), and without any warning, on any kind
of day (temperature & humidity wise), at any incline (flat, uphill,
downhill), at any operating point (right after starting, after driving for
1 hour), at any fuel position (full tank, empty, new gas, etc.)  I'll get
this sudden loss of power, and speed drops down to 40, giving it more gas
doesn't necessarily do anything, engine will start to have power and then
falter, feel ragged, etc.

After about 5 to 10 minutes or so it'll clear up and then be fine (back to
full power).

It's too infrequent to test reliably.  Two days might go by and then it'll
happen again.

My guess is something in the fuel delivery is getting clogged, and
eventually it frees itself.  Any idea where to look?

I've never tried some of the carb cleaners like GumOut.  Should I bother,
or should I do it by hand?  Obviously there are places I can't get to, and
I don't have a ton of equipment (i.e.: no compressor).

Any ideas welcome...

Thanks

- Tab