RE: A Couple of Questions

To: "'engl'" <engl@cableregina.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: A Couple of Questions
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2003 10:36:27 -0700
> - how do you get the heater knobs off?  Do you put something
> in the little
> hole in the side of the knob to release it?

Yes.  Push a small pin chisel, or allen wrench into the hole, while gently
pulling on the knob.  The locating pin retracts and the knob should pull
off.

> - the car pulls slightly to the left on acceleration at
> speed, and slightly
> to the right when you lift of the gas.  Seems to be some sort
> of rear end
> steering.  Tried the U-bolts on the rear springs and they
> seem tight.  The 4
> spring mounting points look good (i.e. not rusted).  Any ideas?

Rear steer is very common.  Although the U bolt nuts appear tight, they are
the problem.

Tightening the bolts a bit more may cure the problem in the short term, but
plan on replacing the rubbers and U bolts as part of the overall maintenance
of the car.  The rubbers get rock hard and the spring will then start to
gall the U bolts.  Replacing with new is cheap and solves the problem.

> - the right rear shock seems to have a little play on the
> shaft right at the
> shock.  Can move it in and out about 1/32" (or less) and it
> rattles a bunch
> over bumps.  Is this something you can shim, or do I need rear shocks?

The rattles and loose arm indicate the shocks are definitely in need of
help.

> - how can I tell when the kingpins are worn?  The front
> steering is stiff,
> and I suspect the kingpins.

        Get in there with a grease gun.  Stiff steering may be due the the
kingpins being dry.  They are probably also worn, but let's take care of the
easy stuff first.

        The important thing is to get the car safe and drive it.

all the best

Kelvin.