Re: Car Buying Scam - Help needed

To: "Eugene Balinski" <eugeneb@nni.com>
Subject: Re: Car Buying Scam - Help needed
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 09:19:32 -0400
There are two variations:

1) They want your bank account #, but as you might guess, they transfer OUT
not in.  Easy way to get around it - open a new acct with just a few
dollars in it, see what happens.

2) The more complicated one involved sending a cashiers check (sometimes
for extra cash back, sometimes not), you hand the car over to a local
associate.  Then it turns out the cashiers check bounced or was forged, but
it's too late for you.   If you plan to try this anyway, document
everything you can about the local associate (his driver's license, etc.)
or better yet, agree to put stuff in escrow until the check clears.  Or,
best, just get it in cash.  Tell THEM to cash the check and give you the cash.

- Tab