Re: Buying a car on eBay

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Buying a car on eBay
From: Derek Gladding <derek@ebollocks.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:28:44 -0700
My advice would be simply to wait until an auction comes up that's close
enough to you to get a test drive in before bidding. There's also the
advantage of being there in person to haggle with the seller and not
have to deal with the auction hassles. Offering someone cash on the
spot can save both the buyer and seller quite a bit of money.

Takes a little patience to wait for the right one, but worked well for
me when getting my last 'B. Went over, had a look under the hood, drove
it around, figured out what needed fixing, negotiated a price, seller
pulled the ebay auction, I drove it home.

I suppose if it's something more exotic/expensive it might be worth
travelling further for, but I'd still never hand over cash for a second
hand car I'd not had a good look at. Could be expensive and/or fatal.

Some places will inspect a car for you for $ and send you a report, but
I'd be very uncomfortable doing that for a car that isn't that common.

- Derek