Re: SU air filter: K&Ns and stub stacks

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SU air filter: K&Ns and stub stacks
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 13:06:00 -0500
ATWEDITOR@aol.com wrote:

> I'm at work now and can't check on that dent question, but let me gas
> on about the last two.Last year Grassroots Motorsports did a series
> of dyno tests of bolt-on MGB engine mods.  One of the huge shocks
> from their point of view was the difference--around 4%--made by
> bolting on stub stacks to the mouth of the SUs, and letting them
> reside under K&Ns, which also provided a power gain of around 4%.
> Unlike standard bell-mouthed velocity stacks, the stub stacks are
> about 1/2 in. high with a rounded opening edge that, as dealer ATF
> products (I think that's their name--information also at home) says,
> provides "a nice radius" for the SU carb opening.  In short, I guess
> it just fools the air flow into thinking the carb is bigger, and the
> flow is increased.  Cast versions of the stacks are around $19 each,
> and that's what Grassroots tested.  When I ordered mine, the cast
> versions were out of stock, so I got the billet versions for around
> $30 each.  I also got K&Ns at the same time, ! going for the open
> element design that eliminates the metal pots. I am here to tell you
> that the combination of K&Ns and stub stacks makes a SIGNIFICANT
> difference in performance throughout the power range, from lowest
> RPMs up to readline, and yes, it seems to allow the ancient B engine
> to keep accelerating at higher revs where previously it seemed to run
> out of gas.  The bill--around $200 and 15 minutes install time. So
> here's my ultimate cheapie, no-risk, quick-install performance boost
> recommendation: A Petronix ignition, K&N filters and stub stacks.
> Buy, bolt and burn. Jay Donoghue72 B-GT66 Mustang (also with Petronix
> and K&N)

My experience confirms this; I have a single HIF6 SU on a special
manifold on my Cooper S. I experienced a noticeable performance increase
when I added the K&N cone filter with the short stub stack inside.

-Rock     http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
"JJ Cale Live" CD & Video: http://www.rocky-frisco.com/calelive.htm
The Wednesday Night Science Project: http://www.wednitesciproj.us