Re: SU air filter: K&Ns and stub stacks

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SU air filter: K&Ns and stub stacks
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 23:17:19 +1030
ATWEDITOR@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 9/10/03 10:32:32 PM, mmorris@nemr.net writes:
>
> << Jay,
>
> What is a stub stack and where do you find them? >>
>
> Monte,
> Go to http://www.aptfast.com/Main_Index_Page.htm, and scroll down to SU Stub
> Stacks & Ram Pipes.

I have stubs under a PiperCross filter but the immediate problem I found
was that they were sucking in lots of really hot, under-bonnet air.  At
least the original filter on my '68 had a pipe pointing to the front of
the car (and a little hole in the radiator surround).  I could actually
feel the performance drop off as the car heated up.

My solution was to cut a hole in the radiator surround big enough to fit
a short length of flexible tubing (4" wide or there-abouts) which I tied
to the grill at the front and ran back to the Pipercross filter.  This
poor-mans' cold-air box (without the box) forced cold external air
across the filter and made a noticable difference to the "warm
performance" of the car.

With such a noticable difference I am tempted to go down the path of
several other competitors with similar cars and actually put a cold air
box on the SUs (which would then require changes to tuning/needles etc.).

That is my experience.

Oh yeah, I went that way because on the dyno I found an extra few
horsepower just by taking off the original filters all together.
Surprised me!

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII