Re: MGB rear springs.

To: "Richard Poole" <richp@poolelan.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB rear springs.
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 10:27:10 +0100
*Many* reports of problems with rear springs, in some case being so hard or
overarched that people cannot get the shackles or rebound straps fitted
without several large friends sitting in the boot/trunk.  Mostly from North
America, but I have noticed a couple of complaints from the UK recently.
I've fitted two sets of new springs - including a stronger rubber bumper set
on a chrome bumper car - and had no problem fitting the shackles or rebound
rubbers, simply jacking the springs and axle up under the weight of the body
was enough, before the body lifted off the stands.  I made sure I got OE
springs in both cases.  I nearly bought one set - complete with stencilled
OE part number - before noticing that they didn't have any interleaving.
The vendor sheepishly admitted they were copies, and selling a copy under
the original part number is classed as 'passing off' and supposedly illegal
in the UK.  Abingdon only allowed for a weight of 150lbs per person, maybe
manufacturers of today's copies are trying to compensate for, ahem, today's
larger individual.  'Buyer beware'.

PaulH.