Generator or alternator

To: "MG Digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Generator or alternator
From: "NSippel" <nsippel@mindspring.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 17:54:54 -0400
Dave:

I used an MGB alternator (with Bosch guts) with built-in regulator.  I'll
email you a photo of the installation.  But, it is very simple - a threaded
rod with nuts at the appropriate locations attaches the rear.  The front
uses all of the generator mounting hardware.  I worked with the early &
'68 - '71 (?) wiring diagrams to get everything connected correctly.
Installed this about 4 years ago.

I don't remember the amp output.  But, it's sufficient to handle the stereo,
80 watt headlights, halogen taillights, intermittent wipers, electric
cooling fan.  And, with a slightly larger pulley, it even stands up to
7,000+ rpm racing.

BTW, I had  tried a couple of domestic alternators for fit.  They not only
would have required more elaborate mountings, but the pulleys were also out
of alignment by about 1/4-inch.  Decided to keep it simple by using the
"stock" alternator.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB