Re: more on milage

To: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Subject: Re: more on milage
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 09:17:03 -0500
    I was going to go to the All British Car Day event near Austin, TX
last Sunday.  So sure enough the B's starter goes toes-up (solenoid
pulled in, motor didn't turn) on Friday afternoon.  AZ couldn't get me a
replacement "lifetime" starter until Monday, grrr.

   So a friend loaned me a spare that I installed Saturday night.  It
worked but the drive gear wouldn't mesh with my flywheel ring gear.
Nuts!  Looks like the later RBB starters aren't compatible with the
earlier ones like my '69.  Anyone know more about this?

   So, my usually super-reliable B broke down on me.  Even a well
maintained car cn poop out; guess she didn't want to go to Austin again
in case there was another monsoon like last week.  At least she waited
'til I had her back in the garage to rebel.

  I had to stay home and watch the Cowboys beat the Jets.  Heh, heh.

  Anyone go to the ABCD?

   Cheers,

    CR

Bill Saidel wrote:
> Hi all,
>       Took my first relatively long distance ride this weekend through
> 4.5 states (NJ, De, Md, DC, and Va, the advantage of small states) in a
> 76B with a standard engine...mostly from 55-70 mph and I got 28.6
> mpg.  The thing that blew me away was that I haven't tuned the car for 3
> years since I changed from the ZS to HIF's and it is still running fine.
>       My question was in trusting the car.  I've had it for 5 years now
> and have been hesitant to go too far out of my 'locale'.

SNIP