more on milage

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: more on milage
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 08:58:39 -0400 (EDT)
Hi all,
        Took my first relatively long distance ride this weekend through
4.5 states (NJ, De, Md, DC, and Va, the advantage of small states) in a
76B with a standard engine...mostly from 55-70 mph and I got 28.6
mpg.  The thing that blew me away was that I haven't tuned the car for 3
years since I changed from the ZS to HIF's and it is still running fine.
        My question was in trusting the car.  I've had it for 5 years now
and have been hesitant to go too far out of my 'locale'.

I guess what I encountered at the last gas station was right. A young lady
driving a Miata was filling up at the island next to me and said, "Nice
Car...I used to have one but it broke down all the time." (Young is a
relative term...)  I replied without thinking , "The ones still running
are the ones that don't break down."  An example of Darwinian survival of
the fittest maybe...or maybe it is just the TLC and the constant concern
for smooth running that matters.

        Such fun...Md has some really nice rides. The density of DC,
Northern VA is just amazing...
        My trust in the vehicle has gone up several notches.

That's good for the future.

Bill Saidel
'76B
BMCSNJ