Re: ZS to HIF

To: "MonteMorris" <mmorris@nemr.net>
Subject: Re: ZS to HIF
From: "Henry D. Reynolds" <hdr@halsoft.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 21:14:18 -0500
most of this has already been covered but since i did this a little
over a year ago I'll put in my two cents.

the only real surprise for me was that i needed to replace the standoff
on the horizontal shelf above the firewall for the accelerator cable
outer. the one on the '78 was too big for my new accelerator cable.

i hooked up my anti-run on valve via a T-fitting in the vacuum line to
the distributor, but this won't work unless you eliminate or bypass the
Transmission-Controlled Spark Advance.

I put my choke nob on the left in the switch blank above the hazard
switch. It was the easiest place to route the cable.
I wish i'd put it on the right-hand side because i am not agile enough
to operating the choke with my right hand while driving. :-) i just put
a washer on either side of the blank switch hole. the front on i
"shaved" the sides off and the back one had to be really thin one
because the choke cable didn't have enough thread for a fender washer
on both sides.

for the heater hose i just bought a A/C hose repair kit. It is an short
aluminum tube with two hose clamps. i fitted one in to the  "T" in the
lower radiator hose ( the one going to the top of the heater core ) and
got the heater pipe from an earlier MG and routed the heater hose as
usual in a twin carb MG.

you may need to replace the manifold studs. the ones on the one-piece
manifold were not long enough, but YMMV depending on the thickness of
your exhaust and intake flanges.

I don't know if you saw the discussion about "stub stacks" but the
"ALLOY BACK PLATE ADAPTOR" MOSS # 372-380 actually functions as a short
velocity stack. if you install your carbs with out something like the
"stub stack" that APT sells(aptfast.com) you will actually reduce the
amount of air that can flow through the carbs. I highly recommend doing
this. i would also consider replacing the throttle plates with ones
that do not have the "poppet valve".  I also fitted the maniflow
exhaust header and this fit easily to my stock exhaust.

I converted my car march of last year and I very pleased with the
results.

PS please feel free to contact me off list have any additional
questions.

--
"Alle Menschen werden Bruder"

  Henry D. Reynolds - Chat Operations