Re: MGB oiling problems?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MGB oiling problems?
From: Eric <eric@internode.com.au>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 11:07:55 +0930
On Monday, Oct 13, 2003, at 10:48 Australia/Adelaide, Paul M. wrote:

> One of the
> gentlemen I talked to said that there is a fundamental
> and serious oiling problem in the MGB engine.  The way
> I understood it, he said the oil pump gear trashes the
> cam gear, causing one or both to fail (with suitably
> catastrophic results).

I would ask for more information than this.

What have they had done to their cam/engine?

My "fairly stock but warmer than normal" engine with just a "fast
street" cam has not had problems after a significant amount of
thrashing (6000+ rev gear changes) and I have not heard of anything
similar being discussed amongst my track brethren in our MG Car Club.

Are we talking about really, really "hot" engines?

You may want to get more specific info on their setup (and is it the
same as yours).

Eric
'68 MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia