RE: MGB oiling problems?

To: "'Paul M.'" <rowman22001@yahoo.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MGB oiling problems?
From: "Larry list account" <list@marketvalue.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:49:01 -0600
Answers imbedded.

> The way I understood it, he said the oil pump gear trashes the cam gear

> 1)  Has anyone else every heard of this problem?

Yes.

> 2)  Why would the oil pump trash the cam under racing
> conditions but not under street conditions?  Is it purely a
> function of revs?

It's a function of oil pressure. It takes a lot of power to run the pump.
Ah, by the way, most racers think more pressure is better.  They might want
to re-think that decision.

> 3)  If so, what is the rev range where this becomes critical?

Probably a question for a PhD in physics.

Let me introduce you to racing.  You wrote, "One solution was to use a
special brass oil pump gear which is sacrificial and needs to be changed
every sixteen hours (yikes)."  I would say after 16 race hours a competitive
MGB engine must be torn down anyway.  So the oil pump drive shaft won't be
any big deal.  (the key word in this paragraph is competitive)

Every winter, pop the head have the machinist check it.  Pull the engine,
tear it down, inspect and re-assemble with new oil pump drive (material of
your choice), and new bearings.

Or wait 32 hours and buy a new engine, $3000 - $4000.

Either way works .... pay me now, or pay me later.

Larry Hoy
Pssst, I bet ya blow out a rod bearing before you loose the oil pump drive.
:- )